How to Stay Healthy After Your Hospital Stay
Getting well after your hospital stay is important. But sometimes people end up back in the hospital soon after they leave. This is called a readmission. This can happen for a lot of reasons. By taking some simple steps, you may be able to stay healthy and out of the hospital.
Before you leave the hospital
Be ready before you leave the hospital. This can help you get better faster. Follow these easy tips:
- Tell your nurse where you plan to go after you leave the hospital.
- Make sure you understand your discharge instructions. Take them with you when you leave the hospital.
- Know who to call if you have questions.
- Get a list of the medicines you will need to take at home.
- Make sure you have a prescription for each medicine you need to take. You will need to give this to the pharmacist.
Just out of the hospital
Here's what you should do next:
- See your doctor within seven days. Write down your questions for the doctor before you go. Take your questions and discharge papers to your appointment.
- If you have a Clinical Care Coordinator, check in often. Your Clinical Care Coordinator will help you after you leave the hospital.
- Follow the directions for taking your medicine.
- Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about your medicines.
- Stick to your recovery plan.
AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware is here to help you heal
We know that healing is not always easy. You are not alone as you recover. We are here to help you get well and stay healthy. If you have any questions or need help, give us a call.
- 24/7 Nurse Call Line at 1-844-897-5021. If you have questions about your health but can't reach your doctor, our nurses are ready to help. The Nurse Call Line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Rapid Response and Outreach Team at 1-844-623-7090. The Rapid Response and Outreach Team can help you set up appointments. We can also connect you with a Care Manager.
- AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware Member Services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week:
- Diamond State Health Plan: 1-844-211-0966 (TTY 1-855-349-6281).
- Diamond State Health Plan - Plus: 1-855-777-6617 (TTY 1-855-362-5769).
Remember to get lots of rest while you heal. Every day matters during recovery.