Bright Start® Maternity Program
If you're a new or soon-to-be parent, AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware can help with resources, support, and provide educational material and information you need during your pregnancy and after your baby is born.
Early and consistent prenatal health care before your child's birth is a key to having a healthy baby. Bright Start® by AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware provides resources and education to moms-to-be for making healthy choices for themselves and their unborn baby. Any member who is pregnant can join the Bright Start program at no cost.
The AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware Bright Start Booklet (PDF) is an all-inclusive booklet filled with important information for pregnant women and new moms. This educational booklet is a valuable resource in pregnancy and used while working with your Bright Start care coordinator to ensure you have all the helpful information needed during pregnancy!
With the Bright Start program, we can:
- Help you choose a doctor who is right for you and your baby.
- Give you information on prenatal vitamins and eating right; your body needs extra vitamins, like folic acid (a B vitamin), when you are pregnant.
- Work with your provider to make sure you get the care you need.
- Work with you to ensure you have dental care having healthy teeth and gums is very important during pregnancy.
- Assist you with getting resources to help you have a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby.
- Help you get into Home Visiting program.
- Connect you with a doula.
- Assist you with getting nutritional home delivered meals if qualified.
Download our Bright Start Booklet Here (PDF)
Join Bright Start Today
Bright Start is available at no cost for all pregnant members. For more information or to enroll, call one of our Bright Start associates today! Call 1-833-669-7672 (TTY 1-855-349-6281).
Bright Start Incentives
- A $15 gift card for completing four prenatal visits by 26 weeks.
- A portable crib or car seat for completing eight prenatal appointments by 36 weeks.
- A $25 gift card for completing your postpartum appointment within seven to 84 days after giving birth.
Keys to Your Care®
The Keys to Your Care® program is here to help you have a healthy pregnancy and baby. We’ll send you text messages every week during your pregnancy and for the first few months after your baby is born.
Text message topics include:
- How our Bright Start maternity program will support you during your pregnancy
- Important prenatal appointment reminders
- Appropriate educational information for each stage of pregnancy
- Tips for eating right and avoiding certain foods
- The importance of using your dental benefit during pregnancy
- Scheduling free rides to your doctor’s appointments
- Joining a tobacco quit program if you smoke
- Preparing for your baby’s arrival
- Labor signs and symptoms
- Important information to know after your baby is born
Text DEMAMA to 85886 to join the Keys to Your Care program. Or call a member of our Bright Start® team at 1-833-669-7672 (TTY 1-855-349-6281). We're available from 8 a.m. to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
Finding the right provider
Having a healthy pregnancy is one of the best ways to promote a healthy birth. Getting early and regular prenatal care improves the chances of a healthy pregnancy. This care can begin even before pregnancy with a pre-pregnancy care visit to a health care provider.
If you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy and need help finding the right provider for you, please call your Bright Start team, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 1-833-669-7672 or call Member Services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-844-211-0966 (TTY 1-855-349-6281).
You can visit the AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware website to find a provider as well
Dental benefit for pregnant women
We know how important preventive dental visits are for pregnant women. If you're a AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware member, you have dental coverage before, during and after your pregnancy.
- AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware members ages 21 and older are enrolled in the Medicaid dental benefit. It includes $1,000 of coverage per year for dental services. The benefit can be used towards services include cleanings, x-rays, cavity fillings and more.
- Each visit costs a $3 copay
For help finding a network dentist in your area, visit our Find a provider page or call 1-833-669-7672 (TTY 1-855-349-6281).
Don’t forget that healthy teeth are an important part of a healthy pregnancy. Periodontal disease is prevalent in pregnant women and can lead to many health complications. Keep periodontal disease under control by following these tips:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Floss daily.
- Get a dental check-up and teeth cleaning at least twice a year.
- Avoid smoking and other forms of tobacco, candy, and sugary foods.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
Dental services are covered for children eligible for Medicaid through age 20
- Preventive care: dental cleanings, fluoride, sealants, x-rays, etc.
- Restorative care: fillings, crowns, etc.
Dental services are covered for children eligible for the Delaware Healthy Children Program (DHCP) through age 18.
For questions about your dental benefits, call Delaware Medicaid Customer Relations at 1-800-372-2022 or 1-302-571-4900.
Vision benefits for pregnant women
Eye care benefits are available for members of all ages. This includes one routine eye exam every 12 months. These members are also eligible for eyeglasses or contacts every 12 months. Call your or your child’s eye doctor to schedule a routine eye exam. Call AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware Member Services at 1-844-211-0966 (TTY 1-855-349-6281) for more information.
Smoking while pregnant or planning a pregnancy?
Wherever you are in your pregnancy, quitting smoking will benefit your baby. Smoking during pregnancy makes you three and a half times more likely to have a low-birth-weight baby than women who don’t smoke. This includes all types of smoke, including e-cigarettes and marijuana. The good news is, the sooner you stop smoking, the more you increase your chance of having a healthy baby.
Mental health and substance use treatment resources
Did you know that AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware also includes mental health services? We cover medically necessary mental health services in a variety of care settings including telehealth services. This applies to all members with mental health needs from mild to severe.
You can earn CARE Card Rewards
AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware will add CARE Card rewards dollars to your card if you do things that help you stay healthy. View AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware CARE Card program for more information.
Have you delivered
Important things to do before you leave the hospital:
- Enroll your baby in the AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware health plan.
- Contact your Medicaid caseworker to complete enrollment for your baby.
- Make a follow-up appointment with your baby’s doctor.
- Make an appointment with your OB-GYN for your postpartum visit. It must be 7 to 84 days after delivery to be eligible for the post-partum reward.
- Call Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), to notify them you have delivered and make an appointment. They are also a great breastfeeding resource in your community.
Check out our Bright Start PlusSM mobile apps
Track your pregnancy through each milestone and trimester. Create profiles for the whole family. Read about health milestones for mom and dad, adults, and kids. Track health milestones for everyone.
Learn more about our Bright Start Plus mobile app
Bright Start PlusSM Mobile App
A personal assistant for your whole family’s health, from your phone or smart device.
Bright Start Plus is your family’s trusted guide for all things health care.
From mom and dad to kids and grandparents, help keep your entire family healthier. All on one shared app, use Bright Start Plus to keep track of your and your family’s health through reminders, tips, trackers, and more.
And if you’re expecting for the first time, or if you’re just eager to learn more about your health while pregnant, Bright Start Plus can help guide you and your baby through pregnancy. Get personal advice, videos, and tools to help make your pregnancy healthier.
Get started today.
Search for “Bright Start Plus” in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store to get Bright Start Plus for free today.
<<Link for iTunes image and store>>
<<Link for Google Play image and store>>
Bright Start Plus for your whole family's health
Create profiles and track milestones for everyone.
- For the whole family — Create profiles for every family member, with health milestones for mom, dad, the kids, and even grandparents.
- Keep count of everyone’s health — Track everything from vaccinations, growth, feeding, diaper use, and more.
- Extra advice to help kids grow — Get detailed milestones for little ones to help with those important first few years.
- Stay healthy all year — Learn seasonal health tips for the whole family.
- Never lose another phone number — Simply click-to-call for a direct line to your own health team and local health resources.
- Keep health notes — Store all your doctors' appointments and questions in the “Q-List.”
- Sync with other health apps — Sync your health data with your Apple Health app.
Bright Start Plus for when you're expecting.
Track your pregnancy through each milestone and trimester. Get personalized tips and facts based on the health info you share.
- Set reminders — Let us help you remember important to-dos, like appointments and times to take medicines.
- Real-time health advice — Read health articles in the Learn library. Get on-the-spot health advice and an action plan, just for you.
- Watch weekly ultrasound videos — See what babies look like during each week of pregnancy, and the size of your baby compared to your favorite fruit or veggie.
- Count the kicks — Keep track of how often and how many times you can feel your baby kicking in the Movement Tracker.
- Remember mom’s health — Track your own weight gain, feelings, and overall health.
- Give us a call with just a tap — Never worry about losing our number. Connect with us through the app with just a tap.
- Celebrate your pregnancy milestones — From your own home feed, scroll through topics about what’s new at every stage of your pregnancy.
- Relax with Baby Boost — Take a few seconds every day to send positive thoughts and release happy hormones to your baby.
This is to help you learn about your health condition. It is not to take the place of your doctor. If you have questions, talk with your doctor. If you think you need to see your doctor because of something you have read in this information, please contact your doctor. Never stop or wait to get medical attention because of something you have read in this material.
AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware mobile app
Our mobile app gives you access to your health information anytime, anywhere. It’s available for iPhone and Android smartphones.
Visit the Google Play™ store or the Apple App Store ®. * The app is free to download.
Your online account
Managing your health is as easy as going online. Visit AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware and log into your AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware online account, also known as the member portal. You can also access your health history and see a list of your current medicines.
*App Store is a service mark of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Google Play is a trademark of Google, LLC.