Behavioral Health Prior Authorizations
AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware providers may need to receive prior authorization before administering some behavioral health services to members.
Submit a prior authorization request for behavioral health services
- Call Behavioral Health Utilization Management (UM) at 1-855-301-5512, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Fax your completed prior authorization request form to Behavioral Health Utilization Management at 1-877-234-4273.
Behavioral health services requiring prior authorization
- All out-of-network services.
- Psychiatric inpatient hospitalization for members ages 18 and older.
(Inpatient behavioral health services for members under age 18 are managed by the Department of Services for Children, Youth, and Family [DSCYF]).
- Behavioral health partial hospitalization.
- Behavioral health intensive outpatient program.
- Behavioral health residential treatment facility, including Institution for Mental Disease (IMD).
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS).
- Substance use disorder (SUD) programs for all members ages 18 and older not enrolled in PROMISE.
- Partial hospitalization program (Level 2.5).
- Clinically managed low-intensity residential treatment (Level 3.1).
- Clinically managed population-specific high-intensity residential treatment (Level 3.3).
- Clinically managed high-intensity residential treatment (Level 3.5).
- SUD treatment: Providers may choose to obtain prior authorization for the following services. If you do not, a retrospective medical necessity review will occur. See details below.
- SUD residential intensive inpatient treatment (ASAM Level 3.7).
- SUD intensive outpatient (ASAM Level 2.1): Prior authorization is required if more than 30 days are needed.
- SUD withdrawal management: Prior authorization is required if more than five days are needed.
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
- Psychological and neuropsychological testing.
Behavioral health services requiring notification
- Thirty visits per year of behavioral health and substance use disorder (SUD) outpatient services, including crisis intervention, crisis stabilization, and mobile crisis services for all members under age 18. After 30 visits per year, services are covered by the Department of Services for Children, Youth, and Families (DSCYF). Notification is required within 48 hours of admission. This includes all SUD services.
- Ambulatory withdrawal management (Level 2 WM).
- Clinically managed residential withdrawal management (Level 3.2 WM).
- Medically monitored inpatient withdrawal management (Level 3.7 WM).
- SUD medically managed intensive inpatient withdrawal management (Level 3.7 WM) for all members ages 18 and older, including members enrolled in PROMISE.
- First five days require notification within 48 hours of admission and on discharge. If more than five days are needed, prior authorization is required.
- First 14 days of SUD inpatient rehabilitation (ASAM Level 3.7).
- First 30 days of SUD intensive outpatient program (ASAM Level 2.1).